Mesa/Boogie Lone Star Special Rackmount Head
From its conception, the Lone Star series was targeted directly at exceeding players' expectations of both tone AND versatility from a vintage and/or modern boutique amp...without accepting compromise. Tonally it must be experienced to believe as there are not enough adjectives to remotely do it justice. Simply put, the Lone Star is a sonic flood of Texas-sized proportions! The most ridiculously amazing cleans, classic breakup and high gain tones Mesa has ever offered in a single amplifier!
Since the series launched, the stylistic momentum of the Lone Star has been overwhelming. Players and reviewers alike have bestowed global accolades on this gem, including prestigious Editor's Pick and Platinum Awards.
Introducing the Pure Class A, EL-84 Powered LONE STAR SPECIAL featuring channel assignable power that allows you to assign 1, 2 or all 4 EL-84's to either of its 2 Channels for independent Power Ratings of 5, 15 or 30 Watts!
What sets the Lone Star Special apart from the Lone Star? Take the incredibly expressive pre-amp of the Lone Star with its intutitive versatility, add the vintage magic of EL-84's running Pure Class A, and a new classic is born. Where its big brother, the Lone Star boasts the huge warmth and headroom of 6L6 power, the Lone Star Special delivers seductive, bubbly tone and a sensual, elastic feel. This Lone Star is short on weight, but tall on personality.
Authentic retro-tone is all about power and the way it clips. Yet in any given amp, the sweet-spot of power clip is inseparably tied to its wattage and playing loudness. The Lone Star Special smashes this age-old limitation by offering three distinct power configurations, each with its own window of wattage: 30, 15 or 5. Perfect Power. Per Channel. On Demand.
30 Watts, bold and pure from all four power tubes punches through the mix and hangs with a band in mid-size venues. 15 watts cries the blues with sinful passion...coaxing expressive soul from an electron-soaked pair of EL-84's. Both circuits run Pure Class A in a Push-Pull configuration. But what really makes this Lone Star Special is its ability to switch down to 5 watts of single-ended power bliss... more on circuitry.
In Push-Pull circuits, the second harmonic is cancelled out when the two halves of the wave-form are recombined in the output transformer. Unlike Push-Pull, Single-Ended circuits preserve this most musical of all harmonics. A suitable coating of warm distortion (an octave above the note you're playing) glazes the entire spectrum with a purring, golden halo of precious nuance. Perfect for individual playing or recording. For a full description of this technologhy see Randall Smith's "Class A - Exposed and Explained" on the Amplitudes Blog.
Between the two Lone Stars, you can choose to clip your power at 5, 15, 30, 50 or 100 watts.
All this bouncy Class A tone blooms naturally in a trim, new 1x12 cabinet roughly 3/4's the size of its big brother Lone Star. And you can afford to pack both of these hand-crafted jewels for around the same bling-bling as a one-trick pony from the boutique corral. But don't shop price - compare tone!
Gigging at the club... rehearsing with the band... recording in the studio... tracking at home... or simply finding inspiration late at night... the finely tuned power sections of the Lone Star Special transcend all these needs - going where no single amp has gone before.
- Amp Type: Tube
- Chassis Material: Aluminum
- Rectifier Type: Dual Rectification with Patented Recto Tracking (Patent 7,193,458). Recto Tracking auto-matches the correct Rectifier compliment for the number of Power Tubes in use. 5 & 15 Watt Modes = Tube Rectification, 30 Watt Mode = Silicon Diode Rectification.
- Rectifier Tubes: 1x Mesa 5Y3
- Variac Power Switch: N/A
- Preamp Tubes: 5x Mesa 12AX7
- Power Amp Tubes: 4x Mesa EL-84
- Bias Switch for Alternate Power Tubes Types: N/A
- Maintenance Free Fixed Bias: Cathode Bias (maintenance free)
- Wattage(s) Quick Reference: 5, 15 or 30 Watts - Channel Assignable - See Power Amp Details for more information.
- Built-In Power Amp Attenuation: N/A
- Power Amp Details (Class & Wattage): Pure Class A Power with Mesa's Patented Multi-Watt (Patent 7,602,927) Channel Assignable Power Amp - Provides three power options via two 5/15/30 Watt Power Switches: Choose 1 power tube operating in pure vintage Class A (single-ended), producing 5 Watts - 2 tubes running in pure Class A, Push-Pull, producing 15 Watts or 4 tubes operating in Pure Class A Push-Pull, producing 30 Watts
- Convection or Fan Cooling: Fan Cooled with On/Off Switch
- Number of Footswitchable Channels (or Modes): Two Channels
- Number of Style Modes: Three
- Number of Style Modes Per Channel: Ch.1 = One / Ch.2 = Two
- Types of Style Modes Per Channel: Ch.1 = Clean, Ch.2 = Clean or Drive (Mesa's Vintage Cascading Gain)
- Channel Controls: Each Channel features Independent 5/15/30 Watt Multi-Watt Switch, Gain, Treble, Mid, Bass, Presence, Reverb (back panel) & Master - Channel 2 features additional Drive Mode Switch with Drive Level Control and Thick/Normal/Thicker Voicing Switch
- Graphic EQ and/or Contour: N/A
- Reverb / Effects & Bypass Options: All-Tube, Long Spring Reverb with Bright/Warm Tone Switch and Independent Channel Controls
- Effects Loop & Bypass Options: Fully Buffered Series FX Loop with Send Level Control (over all channels when activated) - True Bypassable - See True-Bypass Options below for more information
- Global Output Level Control: Yes (Over all channels when activated) - See True-Bypass Options below for more information
- Global Solo Level Control & Bypassable Options: Yes (Over each channel when activated) - See True-Bypass Options below for more information
- True-Bypass Options: True-Bypass Switch removes FX Loop, Output & Solo Level Controls
- Tuner Output: N/A
- External Switching Jack Options and/or Midi: External Switching Jacks for Channel 1/2, Solo (back panel) & Reverb (bottom of chassis)
- Speaker Outputs: One 8 Ohm and Two 4 Ohm
- Cabinet Simulation - Direct Live/Recording Output: N/A
- Headphone Output: N/A
- Slave Output: Yes with Level Control
Mesa/Boogie products are ONLY available for US shipping, must be a US resident.